Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Activity Days



My calling in a my ward is in primary Activity Days age 8-11 and when I was called there were 3 of us leaders and shortly after they both moved and I was left alone just thrown in with out any help or any idea what I was supposed to do so I kept asking for help.  Then when they finally called a lady she isn't very active so I never met her but I had talked to her a few times on the phone trying to get her to come to the activities and she never showed up!  It has been months and months and I have still been asking for help and NOT getting it!!

Luckily Russell was available to come with me yesterday because I didn't have enough room in my car to take all the girls that wanted to come and since we only have one car I took Russell and Felicity to the church then left to get the girls I picked two girls took them to the church and left them with Russell then went back to that same apartment complex and picked up three more girls then went to the church and then then the reverse after! it was such a long process that it felt like it took so long!....

We built a Fort out of blankets, chairs and tables (Russell says "it was one tough fort") and then sat it in and talked about "building your fortress". We spent some time talking about building our own personal fortresses to protect ourselves from the adversary. In medieval times, great fortresses were built around castles or cities to protect them from enemy attacks. In the Book of Mormon, the Nephites built fortresses to defend their families against their enemies. We talked about building our own fortresses protect ourselves against the adversary, (spiritual ways) i.e. gain a testimony, pray, have faith... the list could go on and on. Then we talked about the watchtower which guarded against enemies coming too close, (temporal ways) i.e. Avoid peer pressure, bad movies, immodest dress... again the list is endless. Then we read Helaman 5:12 which about building a foundation.
There is a great article by Joseph B. Wirthlin, "
Build it right
" (March 1990 New Era).  That we read also ... I hope they had fun... I'm trying to learn a do my best!

I really hope that I can get help from my ward soon that would be so helpful!!

1 comment:

Justin and Kenzee said...

Can't their moms bring them to and from the activities? That's what they have to do in my ward because there are around 8 to 10 girls and they'd never fit in the same car.
And I hate to say it, but get used to never having enough help. I'm in the young women presidency and it seems like we're always feeling somewhat overwhelmed and struggling to come up with good activity ideas. I bet you are doing a great job, though. Those girls really love their leaders!